Junior Chemical Engineer
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Are you passionate about decarbonization and looking to help solve climate change? Are you looking for a challenge in a fast-growing DeepTech start-up? Join our team as a Junior Engineer.
Dioxycle is pioneering breakthrough carbon utilization technologies that convert industrial emissions into sustainable chemicals with unprecedented energy and cost efficiency. By displacing fossil fuels for the production of key chemicals, Dioxycle has the potential to ultimately reduce over 800 million tons of CO2 per year, representing over 2% of the world's emissions.
Our team is innovating across chemical, mechanical and system engineering to turn carbon transformation into an economically feasible, industrial reality by developing a completely novel technological approach. Having completed our medium-scale Proof-of-Concept electrolyzer, we are now working towards a first-of-its-kind large-scale industrial prototype and are assembling key partnerships for future commercial roll-out.
We are supported by world-class funders including Lowercarbon Capital, Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Gigascale Capital and have raised $26M to date. We operate from two R&D centers in Europe and California.
Joining us now is an opportunity to play a fundamental role in the scale up of our transformative technology by working closely with our international founding team. If you are motivated by solving hard problems, meaningfully addressing climate change, and want to join the fastest growing industry of our generation, then this role may be for you!
We are excited to share that Dioxycle is seeking a dynamic Junior Engineer to join our chemistry team. This role is a compelling opportunity for an individual with a strong technical background who is looking to make a tangible impact in the advancement of sustainable energy solutions.
Reports To: Project Manager
As a Junior Chemical Engineer, you will be integral to the hands-on production of high-quality electrodes and the maintenance of our state-of-the-art laboratory equipment. You will also play a role in contributing to R&D initiatives, providing innovative solutions to enhance process efficiencies and equipment reliability. We are seeking a technically adept individual who is enthusiastic about applying their engineering expertise to foster innovation in electrolysis.
- Engineer electrodes with precision for use in our cutting-edge CO2 electrolysis systems.
- Conduct regular maintenance, troubleshooting, and technical repairs of laboratory equipment to ensure optimal functionality.
- Work collaboratively with senior engineers and the R&D team to improve electrode designs and equipment efficiency.
- Develop and implement maintenance strategies to improve laboratory operations.
- Document technical processes, maintain detailed maintenance logs, and analyze equipment performance data.
- Develop & manage quality control and testing processes
- Contribute to retro-planning experimental plans and conducting them
- Master's degree in Engineering (Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical, or a related field).
- Experience in a lab or manufacturing setting, with a preference for those who have worked with electrode production or electrochemical processes.
- Proficient in applying engineering principles to solve technical problems and streamline operations.
- Skilled in the use of mechanical and electrical tools, diagnostic equipment, and relevant software applications.
- Strong collaborative skills, able to work well within a multidisciplinary team.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and a systematic approach to tasks and documentation.
Opportunity for Growth:
The position offers a clear path for professional growth within Dioxycle, with the possibility to advance into a specialized role focused on technological development (either a manufacturing or research-oriented role).
Skillset we are looking for:
- Experience working in a lab. Any electrolyzer / test bench design and operation would be a plus, but not a requirement.
- Understanding of electrode fabrication/coating technologies
- Capacity to maintain industrial machinery and prevent equipment shutdowns
- Comfortable dealing with international and diverse teams
- Passion for scaling climate solutions, commitment to take action, and strong work ethic
- English is our daily work language
Mindset we are looking for
- Commitment to the mission and ambition
- Irreproachable work ethic
- Innovative spirit and problem-solving attitude
- Anticipation capabilities
- Safety and security awareness
- Radical open-mindedness: no ego. Ideas first
What we can offer
- Unique journey: We are an early-stage company with a world-class team and a flat structure.
- Impact: We are building a product that will have a real impact on the environment, and we hate bullsh*t.
- People-first: We are self-improving whilst helping others grow. We are no-ego doers and we are all responsible for shaping the company.
- International team: We are an international team made up of various nationalities including American, English, French, Swiss, and hopefully many more soon!
- Fun: We constantly strive to cultivate a great work atmosphere and organize regular team events.
- Fair and competitive salary packages
- Generous Employee Stock Ownership plans
- State-of-the-art research tools and computational equipment
- 30 minute phone call with Grace, Head of People, understand your career expectations, and answer your questions
- 60-minute technical video call with a presentation about yourself and brief case study, followed by technical questions, with Fanny (Project Manager)
- Cofounder interview with David (Co-founder & CTO)
- Onsite interview to meet the team, see the lab & have lunch with everyone!
- A series of reference calls with provided contacts
If you do not meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you would still be a great fit for this role in your application!
Diversity and Inclusion
We are looking for people of diverse backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, creativity, and fun!