Research Technician - Critical Materials Separations
Olokun Minerals has an opportunity available for a full-time, research technician to support research and development activities related to the recovery of critical materials from unconventional liquid streams.
Our research group is working to develop environmentally-friendly processes for the separation and recovery of lithium from unconventional resources. The successful candidate will help in scaling a novel chromatographic technology for the separation of lithium from geothermal brines, formation waters, and produced water. Our team brings together a wide range of technical expertise and global experience unified by a drive to increase the technoeconomic feasibility of global adoption of a circular economy. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent undergraduate or graduate student who desires to obtain relevant laboratory experience in preparation for graduate school or a long-lasting career in critical materials, mining, or biochemical industries.
The successful candidate will perform hands-on tasks and experimentation in a laboratory setting including:
- Operation and maintenance of analytical instrumentation
- Batch and flow separations
- Chemical synthesis
The successful candidate will also perform research activities including:
- Aiding technology team members in the execution and development projects and testing
- Prepare and analyze samples according to SOPs
- Draft and finalize SOPs
- Perform chemical and mathematical calculations
- Utilize and maintain a broad range of laboratory testing equipment
- Perform a variety of procedures utilizing both wet chemistry, physical testing methods, solid-state chemistry techniques
- Record data using accepted laboratory protocols and methods
- Maintain robust analytical data and test records
- Ensure timely delivery of results withing assigned projects
- Maintain housekeeping standards in the work area
- Maintaining inventory of chemicals and consumables for lab use
- May frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds
The ability to conduct laboratory experiments with minimal supervision, with the utmost regard to safety and attention to detail is required. Adaptability and an aptitude for learning are critical in this role.
The successful candidate must be able to begin the position by January 2024 at the latest.
- Must have a BS in chemistry, engineering, or other related field
- Experience working in a laboratory setting and understanding of laboratory best practices
- Quick learner, adaptable, and flexible to take on responsibility
- Strong organization skills and able to effectively perform multiple task
- English speaking required
- Demonstrated general laboratory experience and exposure to analytical chemistry
- Familiarity with general separations techniques including Thin Layer Chromatography, Flash chromatography, Distillation, and Liquid-liquid extraction.
- Attention to detail, a fast learner, and excellent time management skills
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types with various backgrounds
- Demonstrated experience following Standard Lab Safety Procedures and setting a safe example
- Be willing to take direction and work independently to support team goals
- Graduate school experience with a completed Masters or Ph.D. in chemistry, engineering or other related field
- 1-3 years or more experience in chemistry or engineering related field
- Process engineering related experience
- Familiar with thin-layer chromatography, flash chromatography, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction, ion-exchange principles, analytical methods (ICP, GC, HPLC), chemical synthesis techniques, Aspen Plus, MatLab, MatLab Simulink, etc.
•You will need to upload official or unofficial school transcripts as part of the application process.
•If selected for position, a letter of recommendation will be required as part of the hiring process.
* Must meet educational requirements prior to employment start date.
Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)
Job Profile: / Annual Salary Range: $50,000 - $70,000 (based on qualified experience)
Olokun Minerals takes into consideration a candidate’s education, training, and experience, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, a potential new employee’s salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid-time off, and sick leave (where required by law). Olokun Minerals employees may be eligible for, but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement- based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. Internships projected to be less than 20 hours per week are not eligible for medical, dental, or vision benefits.
* Based on eligibility rules
Drug Free Workplace
Olokun Minerals is committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace in accordance with the federal Drug-Free Workplace Act and complies with federal laws prohibiting the possession and use of illegal drugs. Under federal law, marijuana remains an illegal drug.
If you are offered employment at Olokun Minerals, you must pass a pre-employment drug test prior to commencing employment. Unless prohibited by state or local law, the pre-employment drug test will include marijuana. If you test positive on the pre-employment drug test, your offer of employment may be withdrawn.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Olokun Minerals you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Olokun Minerals is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.